Sunday, January 3, 2010

Coco Vine and Turkey meatloaf


I've been trying new things and over the Holidays I went to Arkansas with my family and spent a couple of days. Went to Eureka Springs. I love Eureka Springs, that is where Greg and I got married. On our way there we saw this HUGE building and it was called Macadoodles and we even commented on the name, come to find out it was a huge liquor store and wine cellar. So on night we decided to go see what they had. Oh My Gosh the wine selection was absolutely huge!  I made away with a bottle of Coco Vine which happens to be a Dutch chocolate red wine made in Holland. So we took it back to my nephews, chilled it and sipped on a small glass. It was terrific! You can't have a very big glass of it because it is so rich. Its like drinkinga very rich Chocolate Martini.


I kind of  pushed my diet over the holiday but not excessively but now I am back on track. My biggest challenge is eating 6 small meals a day and eating clean. Who wants to eat salad in the winter? I was in the mood for home cooking today since it snowed last night and it is bitter cold. I was craving Meatloaf and mashed potatoes. So I decided to try my hand and making a meatloaf with ground turkey. WOW you couldn't even tell the difference.  There was little to no grease when I pulled it out of the oven. I used:


2lbs ground turkey
1 pkg dry Lipton onion soup mix
1 can tomato sauce
Ground whole wheat bread crumbs (4 slices in food processor)
2 eggs
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1 t. all purpose Greek seasoning
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 chopped onion
1 green pepper diced


Mix everything in a bowl reserving 1/3 can tomato sauce. Form 2/3 of the mixture into a loaf and flatten, make a shallow indention across the loaf and add cheese. You can add any kind you want. I have to use 2% slices or Fat free. Today it was 2%. Spread remaining meat mixture over the top of the loaf and seal the edges. Pour remaining tomato sauce over the top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Perfect!


For the mashed potaotoes I added a little chicken broth, heated milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper. No fat! I didnt even miss the butter. 


Now it's on to working on my new Journal. I did make the first page yesterday but wasn't pleased with it at all and I'm not sure if I want to continue using this particular Journal. It is made of a textured watercolor paper. I may switch over to a regular moleskin. . I can always make another first page. I feel sooo rusty. I will continue to push myself though even if it looks like poo at first because I know the more I do it, the better it gets! Heck by spring it ought to be a masterpiece! In my world anyway :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post shares in a very tempting and easy to make recipe which I'll surely like to try this weekend.
holidays to turkey

ArtfulSoul said...

Let me know how you like it!

About Me

My photo
So this is the part where I tell you about me. Hmmm well, I'm Lori, mother of 4 grown children, wife of one very kind and patient man, fan of coffee and smoothies, reading others blogs, connecting with friends. I'm obsessed with cars, music and art. Lover of animals as you will see tons of pics of my fur babies. I live in the exciting state of Kansas. No Kansas is not all flat, just most of it! I have been a hairdresser for over 25 years, 12 of which I taught. You can usually find me texting on my phone, watching a good movie, reading a good book, diddling in something artistic whether it looks good or not,playing in the garden, doing hair, cooking,shopping online and dreaming about all the things I think I need but never buy,messing with my car or out and about just driving because it feels good. or just being out and about with my friends or family. I made the dream of Salon ownership happen and I am now a proud grandmother of Loren born July 17, 2011 :-)